Pet travel services in Daventry

At Daventry Vets, we have the necessary qualifications to issue Animal Health Certificates for pet travel to the EU and Northern Ireland. We recommend giving yourself plenty of time to research what you need to organise before you plan to travel abroad with your pet as it can be quite complicated! Contact us for more advice on when to book a Pet Travel Appointment. Please note, Animal health certificate and rabies vaccine appointments cannot be booked via PetsApp.

Contact us to book

What does my pet need to travel abroad?

Ahead of being able to organise an Animal Health Certificate, your pet will need to be microchipped. Our team can microchip your pet during an ordinary consultation – book your pet’s microchipping appointment today.

Your pet will also require a rabies vaccination at least 21 days before travel and when your pet was at least 12 weeks of age. This is a separate vaccination to your pet’s usual booster vaccinations and cannot be given within 2 weeks of some of your pets usual vaccines.

You pet will require Tapeworm treatment if travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland or Malta and before their return the UK, this needs to be within specific time frames.
The Animal Health Certificate needs to be issued no more than 10 days before travel
Post-BREXIT. You are no longer able to use a Pet Passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales & Scotland) for pet travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. Pet Passports issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland are still permitted, however our official vets are no longer allowed to make any entries in them.

Official guidance for pets travelling abroad

The rules for pet’s travelling abroad can often change. Depending on the country you are travelling to, you will either need an Animal Health certificate, or an Export Health Certificate for those pets travelling further afield. We do not issue export certificates but are happy to work with companies to do any testing and parasite treatment required before the final export certificate is completed by them. We have successfully worked with Airpets.

We highly recommend you plan ahead and begin the process at least 2 months before you intend to travel, longer will be needed for some non EU countries.

We also recommend contacting the Pet Travel Scheme helpline or visiting the government website to obtain the most up to date information on the countries you plan to visit.

Pet Travel Scheme helpline:

Telephone: 0370 241 1710
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)

Contact us to book


Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies