Antifreeze pet poisoning risks in Northamptonshire

January 14, 2024

Antifreeze is something that most pet owners living in Northamptonshire will have around their house once it comes to winter. However, even the smallest amount can be highly dangerous for your cat and dog. The primary danger comes from ethylene glycol which is toxic to all animals

If you even suspect your pet could have ingested antifreeze then contact Daventry Vets immediately on 01327 877767.

Call us in an emergency

Why cats like to lick antifreeze

The reason antifreeze is so appealing to cats and dogs is the sugary taste. They tend to try and lick it off the driveway and cats will lick it off their paws and fur if they’ve walked through it. Once ingested, ethylene glycol is rapidly absorbed into their bloodstream. Your pet metabolises the ethylene glycol producing a number of TOXIC metabolites severe damage to the kidney. Acute kidney failure in cats and dogs due to antifreeze poisoning, can be fatal, cats have a higher mortality rate than dogs – prompt treatment is needed to provide your pet with a chance of recovery.

Call our team immediately on 01327 877767.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in cats

All of the symptoms of antifreeze poisoning can occur within 30 minutes to 24 hours of ingestion. Symptoms to look for include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of coordination
  • Seizures
  • Signs of kidney failure including increased thirst and urination
  • rapid breathing.

If your cat is admitted to Daventry Vets with suspected antifreeze poisoning, treatments can include induced vomiting( only within the first hour of ingestion) , administering intravenous fluids to support the kidneys.

Protect your cat

To protect your cats and dogs, be diligent about keeping antifreeze containers securely closed and stored out of reach. Clean up any spills immediately, and consider using antifreeze products that contain propylene glycol, which is less toxic but still not entirely safe if ingested in large quantities. Contact Daventry Vets immediately if you are concerned about your pet or if you know they have been exposed to antifreeze.

See our emergency contact information

Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies