Pet passports & exports

The Pet Travel Scheme

A pet passport will allow your dog or cat to travel to countries that are members of the European Union and certain other countries and return to the UK without having to stay in quarantine.

The countries participating in the scheme can change and some countries have additional requirements. We recommend contacting the Pet Travel Scheme helpline or visiting the government website to obtain the most up to date information on the countries you plan to visit.

We recommend you plan ahead and begin the process at least 2 months before you intend to travel.

NB: Please contact us if you are planning to visit Sweden.

What is required before a passport can be issued?

  1. Your pet will need to be microchipped. If not already chipped, we can do this in the same appointment as the rabies vaccination.
  2. A rabies vaccination is required. This must be done after the pet has been microchipped and not before 12 weeks of age. Rabies vaccinations cannot be done at the same time as some of the routine vaccinations for dogs and cats. A gap of 2 weeks between the vaccinations is normally required. We can advise you regarding this.
  3. Following the rabies vaccination, your pet’s passport can be issued but we need to take copies of it and all the supporting documents so we ask you collect the passport one week after your appointment.
  4. Your pet will not be allowed to leave UK for 21 days after the date of the first rabies vaccination. After this time has elapsed you may leave and re-enter the UK with your pet, providing their rabies vaccinations are kept up to date.

Other exports

Exporting pets to some countries not involved in the Pets Travel Scheme can be quite complicated. Please telephone for advice in plenty of time if you are considering exports to countries outwith the Pets Travel Scheme.